Total Pageviews

Tuesday 1 October 2013

Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus, Virgin and Doctor of the Church

Memorial
“Oh! how I love Thee, Jesus! my soul aspires to Thee
And yet for one day only my simple prayer I pray!
Come reign within my heart, smile tenderly on me,
To-day, dear Lord, to-day”
[1]
St. Therese of the Child Jesus was born in France in 1873. At age 15, she chose contemplative life, like her two older sisters before her, and entered the Carmel of Lisieux. In addition to religious responsibilities, St. Therese was a writer. She penned an autobiography, poetry, letters, and prayers. Her poems give praise to God for His unfailing love and speak to her desire to model her life after Christ. Also, St. Therese lived this devotion in “little ways,” becoming known as the “Little Flower of Jesus.” She died at the young age of 24, but her writings continue to inspire the faithful. St. Therese was canonized in 1925 by Pius XI and declared a Doctor of the Church in 1997.

No comments:

Post a Comment